Adobe rolled out its biggest Magento release on March 14, 2023 i.e. Magento 2.4.6, while its pre-release version was available two weeks before its general availability i.e. February 28, 2023. Indeed, a great reason of excitement for store owners!
With every Magento release update, the platform is becoming more advanced in terms of core code, security, and performance. That’s why, the online store owners are looking forward for this Magento release update for quite a long time.
What’s New in Magento 2.4.6 Release?
Magento 2.4.6 release comes with excellent performance, security, and scalability enhancements. Along with that, it is compatible with PHP 8.2.
With 300+ quality fixes and enhancements and upgraded core composer dependencies, it can boost online selling experience and take business to newer heights.
Major Highlights of Magento 2.4.6
Let’s take a closer look of what Magento 2.4.6 release can provide to your online store.
- Over 300 Quality Fixes & Enhancements
- Support for Latest PHP 8.2
- Eight Security Fixes & Improvements
- Enhanced GraphQL Performance & Lesser Response Time
- Supports Page Builder v.1.7.3 & PWA Studio v.13.0.x
Magento 2.4.6 Release Update: Here’s Everything You Should Know About
Security Fixes & Enhancements
Magento 2.4.6 will take security to the next level by offering:
- Eight security fixes with significant performance improvements
- Resolved reCAPTCHA validation failure while payment processing
- Composer 2.2x
- Redis 7.0x
- ElasticSearch 8x
- MariaDB 10.6 (LTS version)
Performance & Scalability Enhancements
- Improved configure setting for enhancing business operations consisting of 100+ customer segments
- Better product grid performance by limiting product counts to be displayed in product grid
- New REST API endpoint for importing data with high performance
- Order processing becomes highly improved for cloud infrastructure customers
GraphQL Performance Enhancements
- Better response time of Magento 2 APIs for querying products in categories
- Improved category tree rendering performance
- Enhanced response time for bulk cart operations
Braintree Payment Method
- Braintree Pay Later button gets enabled and messages for Italy & Spain
- Pay Later messaging with PayPal Vault gets enabled
- Fraud protection and ACH web hooks in Braintree payment method
Page Builder & PWA Studio Support
Magento 2.4.6 is compatible with Page Builder v.1.7.3 & PWA Studio v.13.0.x.
Magento 2.4.5 vs Magento 2.4.6: Delve into Versions’ Comparison
|Google reCAPTCHA support for wish list sharing and gift card forms.
Includes ACL Resources to the inventory.
MaliciousCode Upgrades to HTMLPurifier.
Enhanced inventory template security.
|With this new release, a total of 8 security fixes and platform improvements is ensured.
Performance & Scalability Improvements
|Performance optimisation of primary index by decreasing its number from 3 to 1.
This change has reduced the number of records created in the price index.
|Outdated data removed by price indexer after changing records while partial re-indexing of big catalogs.
Upgraded command improved a lot.
Indexers didn’t revert back to the scheduled mode and remains in save mode.
Speedy execution of tier prices updated by API.
Better page load performance while loading the catalog widget product.
|Apple Pay with enabled Payment Services available to merchants.
Merchants in Italy and Spain can now offer PayPal Pay Later option to buyers.
Discontinuation of the KOUNT fraud protection integration by Braintree.
|If the buyer skips to save the token, Vault payment information will not be visible in the Payment section of Admin order creation workflow.
No more rendering of the COD payment option on the store checkout workflow if COD is exempted for country specified in the shipping & billing address.
With the cart price rule, the custom prices will not be doubled after applying the discount.
New order pending status is displayed as expected after the order placement by using the Zero Subtotal Checkout payment mode.
What Issues Can Be Experienced During Magento 2.4.6 Version Upgrade?
If you’re geared up for the Magento migration, it’s crucial to ensure that your needed extensions should be updated to support this new release. As we know that the latest version has a lot of dependency changes and some of them are backward incompatible.
With Magento 2.4.6, there are various backward incompatible changes in the libraries and third-party components it uses. This has resulted in the end of support of the following components:
- Zend_Filteris now laminas-filter
- Zend_HTTP is now laminas-http
- Zend_Validate is now laminas-validator
This change of libraries can affect many Magento modules in the long run. For example, Magento_Framework, Magento_Payment, Magento_Backend, Magento_Search, etc.
Plus, the third-party extensions that use depend on the affected Magento modules or depend on the replaced libraries should be updated soonest.
It is safe to say that Magento 2.4.6 version is the biggest upgrade by Adobe. This new release comes with a lot of platform, security, and performance enhancements. All store owners should upgrade to it now to enjoy its advanced features and functionalities.